Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Even More Bodacious Backgrounds


It's that time of the week when the Eureka Stamps and QKR Stampede feature Technique and Tutorial Posts. Deb here with another look at what you can do with the fabulous Background Stamps available at Eureka.

For these projects, I chose Eurekas  32101 Abstract Flower and 58401 Fern as my background stamps. I also used a phrase from the 46002 Best Wishes Werdz set and QKR's 17505 Rose.





As you might have guessed, this card uses the Fern Background and the Rose image. I stamped the background on some green SU cardstock with Distress Ink's Forest Moss. I trimmed to the stamping and mounted that panel on a darker green cardstock. I colored a white ribbon with Copics and tied it around the panel. I think that made a great background contrast for the flower.

I stamped the Rose on X-Press It Blending Card with Memento Rich Cocoa and colored it with Copics. Then it was cut with Spellbinder's Beaded Ovals and sponged with the Distress Ink. I then mounted this onto an oval cut with Spellbinders from the dark green.

All layers were mounted to my 5 3/4 inch card base. Next I added dots of liquid pearls around the rose and along the right side of the card. The design seemed to want more, so I added a small design under the background panel.



And now for the second half of today's presentation.....


Who says you have to use stamps in the way they were designed? This stamp is the Abstract Flower. But, when I looked at it from the side, I saw a bird. And who says it has to be a background? I thought it made a nice focal image. What do you think?

32101 Abstract Flower




Anyway, the bird/flower was inked up with VersaMark, stamped on watercolor paper cut larger than I needed, and then heat embossed with silver powder. I then sponged Distress Ink in Broken China, Seedless Preserves, Peacock Feathers, and Evergreen Bough. After sponging, I spritzed the paper with a bit of water to start the magic of the Distress Inks, and let it dry.

Finishing the card was simple. I trimmed my image and mounted it on magenta card, mounted that to a piece of gray card and added a strip of ribbon. That was all adhered to a black card base cut at 5 x 7 inches. I then cut a Spellbinders Fancy Framed Tags 2 from the magenta. The Werdz greeting was stamped with VersaMark on a scrap piece of the colored water paper. Dots of liquid pearls complete the look.

That's it for me today. Remember to scope out everything there is to see on the Eureka Stamps Blog. Last week's Tutorial by Sara on Digital Coloring images with PhotoShop Elements was a doozy.  And, as always, I hope you'll visit my personal blog for even more ideas I Love It.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful tutorial Deb! And the cards turned out really beautiful!

    Hugs Mian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debra - WOW two absolutley FANTASTIC creations!! Love how you discover a bird in this background stamp!! Love the how you used the background with your first card. Your second card is Beautifully embossed and love the gorgeous effects with the distressing inks!! Thanks so much for sharing your amazing talent and both of your awesome techniques with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful tutorial and I love both of the cards. Love how you inspire to use background in different ways and that embossing is fantastic. Hugs Bettina xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous cards! I always use my distress inks ... may have to add some water and see what happens! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely Fantastic Creations! I LOVE THESE!!! Great Job!! You just keep rocking these out lady!!

    Hugs
    Tina

    ReplyDelete