Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Caught in Candlelight


Deb with you today. Candlelight evokes romance, at least in my mind. And I'm told that every woman looks more beautiful by candlelight. So I definitely want candles more candles around me! If you love candles, too, consider this project. The results give you a soft dreamy look - very romantic. This project illustrates this week's technique - adding images to candles. At this point, I must confess I didn't make up this technique. I read about it on the internet, but I don't know where so (sadly) I can't give proper credit. You won't believe how easy this is!

To begin, smooth a piece of tissue paper over a piece of cardstock. Fold the tissue to the back of the paper and tape it down securely.

Front




Back



If you are using a digi image, adjust the color so you print in grey scale rather than in solid black. Size the image so it will fit the size of your candle. I've used Eureka Stamps Gladiola and Hummer sized at 5 inches high for a candle that measured 5 1/2 inches high and 9 1/2 inches around. Run the package through your printer.


If you are using a rubber stamp, just ink up your stamp with grey ink and stamp onto the tissue.

Color your image with alcohol-based markers. Below, I've used Copics:
Bird: C5, YR61/65, RV 63, 66
Flower:YG 23/25/45, YR23 and V01/04/05/06/09


Remove the tissue from the cardstock and trim. You can see that I trimmed the solid line at the bottom left corner.



Drape the issue over the candle.



Cut a piece of household wax paper larger than the size of your image. Place it over the image on the candle and wrap it tightly. Continue to hold the paper as you use your crafting heat gun to warm the wax paper and the candle surface. Heat only until the surface gets shiny and you can see the tissue being incorporated into the wax. If you heat too long, your candle will start to run, and you really don't want that. Peel the wax paper off the image. 
Hold wax paper tightly

Voila!

Decorate your candle any way you wish. I've added ribbon and some pearls from my jewellery making stash.




And, finally, The Boss offers to help with today's clean-up.


5 comments:

  1. This is awesome....I have often wondered how to put stamped images on candles!
    Hugs, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Gorgeous! Fab tutorial, thanks you so much. I've wanted to try these for ages and have never really found instructions which were so clear and easy.
    PS Love 'the Boss', supervising the clean up. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is stunning! I LOVE this and totally want to try it!! Great Tutorial!!

    Many Blessings,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'VE ALWAYS WONDERED HOW THIS WAS DONE. FANTASTIC TUTORIAL! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete